Position: Finance Officer
Position Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Employment Conditions: Must be willing to travel in Canada and Internationally
Summary of Position
Agriteam Canada has an immediate opening in their finance team for the position of Finance Officer. The team player will provide support to the project in terms of reconciling advances to field offices and preparing a site reconciliation, invoicing the client, updating and maintaining the project budget, supporting other finance officers and members of the project team, and any ad hoc reporting that is required by the project. Auditing the work of others, and having one’s own work audited, as a large part of the job, and feedback is freely given and received. Agriteam Canada prides itself on being an adaptive and learning environment, and therefore we foster and encourage job-embedded growth and learning.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance or another pertinent field.
- Additional certification/designation will be considered as an asset.
- At least three (3) years of experience preparing and maintaining precise and complex multidimensional financial reports and budgets (corporate or project).
- Previous experience working as a Finance Officer on an international donor funded project will be considered an asset.
- Fluent in English – English/French bilingual preferred.
- Excellent speaking, writing and oral communication skills in English.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and Visio.
- Highly organized, able to quickly learn and utilize software tools/programs.
- Highly detailed oriented (accurate, precise, thorough, complete).
- Strong communication and collaboration skills – a team player.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced team environment, with proven ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work efficiently and independently, and within strict deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime when deadlines approach.
- Knowledge of GAAP reporting will be considered an asset.
Field office financial reconciliation (“site reconciliation”):
- On a monthly basis, receive and audit the package of financial documents from the project’s office overseas.
- Ensure that all expenditures are allowable and justifiable – the site reconciliation is created, converting all funds to Canadian dollars and organizing into project reporting clauses for ease of invoicing.
- Ensure that their site reconciliation is audited by another, and will also be responsible for auditing the reconciliations of others.
- On a monthly basis, prepare the invoice to the client for all realized expenditures and employee time worked for the month.
- Ensure that the client invoice is audited by another, and will also be responsible for auditing the invoices of others.
- Maintain project budget. This involves updating forecasts (in collaboration with the project team), updating the budget for actual costs (based on the invoices each month), preparing annual budgets for the projects, preparing financial reports in accordance with the project contract.
- Work closely with the Project Manager and Project Administrator to ensure that forecasts are updated regularly and that budget consistently and reliably reflects the project’s actual costs to date and most accurate forecasts.
- Ensure that their budget is audited by another prior to finalization of any financial report, and will also be responsible for auditing the budgets and financial reports of others.
Preparation of ad hoc budgets and financial reports:
- From time to time, may be required to prepare ad hoc financial budgets or reports, such as scenarios or analyses.
- Assist other finance officers with the preparation and/or audit of their financial reports.
Audit expense reports:
- Audit project-related invoices and expense reports, and approving them for payment. This is a shared responsibility with the administrative team, and audit the invoices and expense reports related to their project(s), as well as support other project teams as needed.
Project Financial Audits:
- Assist with project audits when they occur. This entails reviewing the audit sample as provided by the auditing firm and locating and pulling all documentation associated with the audit sample and organizing it in a logical manner.
- Provide any required assistance to the auditors while they are in the Agriteam office, including retrieving any other documentation they require as the audit proceeds.
Support to other team and organization members:
- Support is provided to other team members within the project, within the finance team, or within the organization as needed. This assisting with project audits, assisting with year-end organizational audits, filling in for other finance team members during leave or travel absences, filing duties, attending meetings, and helping out with other tasks on an as-needed basis.
- Review detailed contracts to ensure compliance.
- Cross training in Payroll and Corporate Accounting.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV (6 page max) to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include the position title in your subject line, and clearly explain in your cover letter how you meet the key requirements.
Agriteam Canada offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.